New articles are published every month under the headings below.

I am in my early 30s and have gradually started to lose hearing in one ear. My boss brought it to my attention as I don’t react when spoken to on that side. What should I do first – get my hearing tested or get my GP to refer me to an ear specialist?

It is probably best to get a referral from your GP and see the ENT Specialist first as they will be able to schedule the appropriate audiological testing as well as undertake any other investigations that may be required. There may be some medical issue that can be resolved and longer term hearing management may not be required. If further hearing assistance is needed, you can see an audiologist and pursue this following the medical advice. There are a number of conditions that can cause a hearing loss in one ear to build up gradually including simple things such as ear wax and middle ear fluid - these can usually be medically- treated fairly quickly. In the case of wax build-up, as soon as it is removed the hearing usually returns to normal. Other conditions may take longer to treat or may not require medical intervention. The ENT specialist will be best placed to advise you on your individual case. 

Events Coming Up

28 Oct 2018;
10:30AM - 02:00PM
Illawarra Cochlear Implant Support Group
11 Nov 2018;
11:00AM - 03:00PM
Sunday BBQ - November AGM
20 Nov 2018;
06:30PM - 08:00PM
Preserving Residual Hearing Seminar

Become a Member

Become a Cicada member
For only A$10 per year, you will receive a copy of Buzz magazine and can attend events.


Here is a link to Deafblindness support and information. They are based in Western Australia and supported by Senses Australia.

VCNT - Visitors 2018

Today 28

Yesterday 188

Week 216

Month 2022

All 16062

Currently are 23 guests and no members online

Kubik-Rubik Joomla! Extensions

Hear For You

Hear For You logo

Hear For You web site

Vision Statement: “For all young people who
are deaf to reach their potential in life.”

Web Analytics